Friday, April 27, 2012

Troy the homeless man

So it's after 10pm and I stop at our local 7 Eleven where outside I see a homeless man. He says hello as I get off my car and I reply with a friendly and simple hello. We have a short 2 minute conversation where I give him some spare change and run inside the store to grab what I was looking for. Prior to entering the store he told me he was an artist and had his portfolio with him and wanted to show it to me. This man is 51 years old, scraggly, bad teeth, bad hair and very dirty clothes. His speech was unintelligible and definitely had a mental illness  but after you get past all that this man turned out to be a very interesting part of my day. When I came back out I talked to him for about 30 minutes. Getting strange and worried looks from incoming customers. I smiled and ignored them so. Troy then told me he had been traveling from South Dakota and part of his adventures. Like being with Indians in a reservation for a while. He told me he was Jewish and had thought Judaism for 30 years. We spoke theology for the rest of the time. He didn't want to let me go! hahaha. It's sad to think about but I don't think anybody ever gave him the time of day. I gave him a hug to which he went to tears. He then followed to give me a present. It is something like a small hacky sack, but beautifully made and intricately designed. He told me this was very important to him and it was something that had been given to him in his time with the Indians. He wanted me to have it. He then asked if I had a spare bible because he had lost his. I was able to give a homeless man the bible I kept in my car!  So with him speaking through my now closed car doors and tears in his eyes he told me he was making his way to San Francisco and hoped that one day he ran into me again. Happy and safe travels Troy. May God be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment