Monday, January 16, 2012

This is a Mans World




So I know I have mentioned before that I am the only female to work in our restaurant period. I like how this is a very true fact. Though, I don't think it really hit me til today. So I always wondered where all the cute boys I see on the street live and work. I mean they were never my neighbors or co-workers. Today I realized as I was walking into our kitchen the collection of men I work with. They are not bad looking. They all have females interested in them. They all have great attitudes. They are all definitely male. How do I fit in here? I have never felt out of place or that I don't belong so it just boggled me how perfectly I fit here with a crew full of males. I have never really needed female companionship at work. What even boggled me even more is how they all accept me and like me. They feel comfortable with me. As I with them. Being in a kitchen we are sometimes put in awkward positions but yet they are not awkward. It's me. Me to them is just Bree. The girl they all work with.
Me and Zach were joking the other day. Although not many words were used. That if we ever played a game of charades we would totally dominate! We hold complete conversations without talking. We finish each others sentences or sometimes we don't even have to finish the sentence or to begin it. We know exactly what we mean. He mentioned this to his girlfriend and she thought it was funny. In a kitchen you learn to dance together. To move in a fluid and purposeful motion with other bodies in place. You learn how your partner(s) moves. You speak to each other with nods and hand motions since yelling across an open kitchen to each other is not really an option or quite appropriate when service is going on.
Yesterday was the 49ers game against the Saints. I know my own brothers have been talking about this game for a while now. For those of you whom don't know I have 3 older brothers. Two of them are diehard Raider Fans and the other is a hardcore 49ers Fan. I am a 49er fan. Being in a kitchen, well if you have seen on TV a kitchen crew catching glimpses of games in a tiny TV in the back room, well it's not too far off. Especially when you have an all male crew, excluding me of course. Except in our kitchen we use a computer out by the reception desk (closest thing I can come to mind to call it). We were checking the score every once in a while. Do quick huddles of score checking. We watched the last minute and me and Roger (our house manager) screamed. While everybody else was sad or indifferent. My brother (fellow 49er)  texted me how much of an epic game this was and I believe it for the little tiny of it I did catch. I can't wait to watch the rerun on NFL NETWORK!!! I am pumped. Go 49ers! Hahah yes sometimes I do love working with males. Otherwise, I would have never caught that epic last minute for myself and would have read it later without all the sparks and whistles. :)
So needles to say. This is a mans world, but you can do nothing, nothing, without a woman or a girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment